IMPORTANT UPCOMING EVENTS & DATES
Parents, please take a moment to mark your calendars. The following are important dates that you do not want to miss:
- March 2nd-3rd: WrAP Testing for 3rd-6th Grade
- March 4th: Lower School Night at the Solar Bears Game 7:00PM (Amway Arena)
- March 7th: 3rd Quarter AR Deadline
- March 7th: Parent Association Meeting 8:15-9:45AM (Faith Hall 3rd Floor)
- March 8th: Grandparent’s Day Rehearsal 11:00AM-2:00PM (Gym)
- March 9th: Grandparent’s Day Rehearsal 11:45AM-2:45PM (Gym)
- March 10th: Grandparent’s Day Program 7:50am (Classrooms/Field House)
- March 10th: End of the 3rd Quarter 12:15 Dismissal
- March 13th-17th: Teacher Appreciation Week
- March 13th: 4th Quarter Begins
- March 17th: 6th Grade Grace Day
- March 20th-24th: Spring Break
- March 31st: Kindergarten Field Trip to Green Meadows Farm
- March 31st: 1st-6th Grade Mother Son Boot Camp (Faith Hall)
CHAPEL VENUES, DATES, & TIMES
The following is a list of upcoming chapel dates and times:
- March 2nd: No Chapel Due to WrAP Testing
- March 9th: No Chapel Due to Grandparent’s Day Rehearsal
- March 16th: K4-5th Grade Chapel: Mrs. Martin’s Class Presentation 8:30-9:15AM (Faith Hall)
- March 16th: 6th/MS Grade Chapel: 9:30-9:15AM (Faith Hall)
- March 30th: K4-5th Grade Chapel: Ms. Wall’s Class Presentation 8:30-9:15AM (Faith Hall)
- March 30th: 6th/MS Grade Chapel: 9:30-9:15AM (Faith Hall)
A NOTE FROM MRS. JACKSON
For the month of March, we will be talking about Compassion. As we talk about this very important character trait, we will define it as “caring enough to do something about someone else’s needs,” When we look at God’s word, we see so many examples of compassion that we are called to emulate in our lives. There are more than 90 specific references to compassion in the Bible. Again, God emphasizes this trait with frequency to remind us of its importance. When we look at the Old Testament, we see specific examples of how God showed compassion to his people, even when they turned away from him and were disobedient. In the New Testament, Jesus had compassion on people in need as he healed those who were afflicted with different types of sickness. My challenge for our students, teachers, families and even myself is to look for opportunities where we can show compassion for those around us. How can we put our own needs aside and help meet the needs of another?
Be kind and tender to one another.
National Geographic Bee-State Qualifier
We are proud to announce that Liam Philbin has qualified to compete in the Florida State Bee for the National Geographic Bee. Congratulations Liam. We are really proud of you!
March Madness AR Incentive
It’s that time again! March Madness is descending on TFA! The TFA library is excited to announce that our annual March Madness Reading Competition began this week. This Round Robin tournament based on weekly AR points includes students in 1st-8th grade and will last from February 21st-April 7th. Each week’s winning class wins a free Spirit Wear day for the following Thursday. Overall winners from each division will win a pizza party at the end of the competition! We’re excited to see how many AR points our students can earn over the course of the competition!
East Region (1st and 2nd Grades):
- Williams’ Miami Hurricanes: 40.3
- Smith’s Cincinnati Bearcats: 59.5
*WINNER: Smith’s Cincinnati Bearcats!
- Fox’s Gonzaga Bulldogs: 33.4
- Dowling’s Louisville Cardinals: 20.7
*WINNER: Fox’s Gonzaga Bulldogs!
- Agan’s Kansas Jayhawks: 35.1
- Makar’s St. Mary’s Gaels: 32.2
*WINNER: Agan’s Kansas Jayhawks!
Bye week: Wall’s Baylor Bears
West Region (3rd and 4th Grades):
- Lamp’s Wichita State Shockers: 79.3
Combs’ Xavier Musketeers: 78.4
*WINNER: Lamp’s Wichita State Shockers!
- Schuessler’s SMU Mustangs: 117.9
- Rowley’s UCLA Bruins: 81.1
*WINNER: Schuessler’s SMU Mustangs!
Bye Week: Walton’s Maryland Terrapins
Midwest Region (5th and 6th Grades):
- Camblin’s UNC Tarheels: 96.8
- Fitzgerald’s Arizona Wildcats: 77.7
*WINNER: Camblin’s UNC Tarheels!
- Bell’s FSU Seminoles: 138.2
Parmer’s Notre Dame Fighting Irish: 114.0
*WINNER: Bell’s FSU Seminoles!
- Brown’s Virginia Cavaliers: 63.9
- Pastis’ Duke Blue Devils: 157.7
*WINNER: Pastis’ Duke Blue Devils!
- Diehl’s Villanova Wildcats: 148.4
- Dvorak’s Oregon Ducks: 145.4
*WINNER: Diehl’s Villanova Wildcats!
NEW THIS WEEK
Mother/Son Boot Camp
It’s that time again. Our 2nd Annual Mother/Son Boot Camp is scheduled for Friday, March 31st beginning at 6:00pm. You don’t want to miss this fun social event. Purchase your tickets HERE.
Library Media Center Closure
The library will be closed for WrAP testing from 7:30 AM – 11:00 AM on Thursday, March 2nd and Friday, March 3rd. Lower School students should report the gym for morning care on those two days. Thank you for your understanding.
Catch a Dragon by the Tale Reading Incentive
The TFA library is excited to announce the beginning our 3rd quarter reading incentive program for K Prep, TK, and Kindergarten students. The Catch a Dragon by the Tale Reading Incentive Program will last from February 21st-April 7th. Each week, students can fill out a Catch a Dragon by the Tale reading record form. Extras are available on the library webpage at www.thefirstacademy.org/academics/library. After you read a story with your child, or your child reads a book independently, fill out the reading record. After ten books are read, please return the reading record to your child’s teacher. Students will then be able to choose a prize during their class library time. We’re excited to see how many books our youngest readers can read over the next several weeks!
Lower School Night at the Solar Bears Hockey Game-It’s Not Too Late
Mark your calendars for March 4th. Lower School will be going to a Solar Bears Hockey game.
Tickets may be purchased HERE.
TFA Summer Preschool Opportunity
TFA’s Preschool is so very excited to welcome children, 8 weeks- 3 years old, back to campus for summer fun! Please see the attached flyer for more information. We love welcoming familiar Preschool families and new families too! Please feel free to pass along to family and friends. Click HERE for more information or to register.
Extended Library Hours
In an effort to better serve our TFA families, the Boyd-Moline Library will extend their afternoon hours beginning next week. The library will be open until 4:30pm on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays for the remainder of the school year. Students must still be accompanied by parents or guardians in the library after school. Accelerated Reader testing will be available until 4:15pm and book checkout until 4:20pm.
This is just a friendly reminder that students may be dropped off beginning at 7:30AM. If you arrive to school prior to that time, we request that students remain with their parents until 7:30AM. The library and the gym are open at that time. Student supervision does not begin until that time.
The Boyd Moline Library will be open until 4:30pm on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays for the remainder of the school year. Students must still be accompanied by parents or guardians in the library after school. Accelerated Reader testing will be available until 4:15pm and book checkout until 4:20pm. It will close at 3:30pm on Friday and at 2:40pm on Wednesdays.
The TFA Calendar is a wonderful way to find the dates of upcoming events. Access our web-based calendar anytime. We recommend that you subscribe to all relevant calendars so you can keep up with all of the events going on around the school.
Parent Volunteer Background Check
If you are a new parent and would like to volunteer in your child(ren)’s classroom(s) or chaperone on field trips please complete our free background check. Please note that the background check site only works on Internet Explorer or Firefox on a desktop computer. Safari and Chrome are not supported by the site. Approvals take a few weeks so plan ahead! All parents must have a completed background check before volunteering of chaperoning on a field trip.