IMPORTANT EVENTS & DATES FOR OCTOBER:
Parents, please take a moment to mark your calendars. The following are some important dates that you do not want to miss:
• October 1st-31st – Pastor Appreciation Month
• October 1st-20th – Shoebox Collection
• October 10th – End of 1st Quarter 12:15 PM Dismissal
• October 13th – No School – Student Holiday/Teacher Workday
• October 14th – Portrait/Picture Retakes
• October 20th-25th – Homecoming Week
OCTOBER CHAPEL VENUES, DATES & TIMES
Parents, the following is a list of chapel dates and times for the month of October:
• October 9th – Grades K4-K Chapel 9:00AM (MWC)
• October 16th – Grades 1-3 Chapel 9:00AM (HC)
• October 23rd – No Chapel
• October 30th – Grades 4-6 Chapel 8:45AM (HC)
A NOTE FROM MRS. GROSSHANS
“Praying Circles Around Your Children” By Mark Batterson
“So we have continued praying for you ever since we first heard about you.” Colossians 1:9
As my husband and I were blessed with the news of each of our five children we began praying for them. We prayed that God would keep them safe during the pregnancy, that they would be born healthy and that God would guide us as parents, as we nurtured them throughout their lives. During one pregnancy it was discovered that our child had kidneys that were not developing correctly. Of course as Christian parents we began praying for our child’s healing. It was a long four months until the delivery when we found the full extent of the defect. There were many trips to the specialist, tests, and surgeries that were all bathed with prayers. I cannot tell you the number of times I cried out to God to let me take the burden, to spare our child. However, it wasn’t until I realized, as our author puts it, “Prayer is the way we take our hands off and place our children in the hands of God,” that I saw His answers to our prayers. You see we had moved to Little Rock, Arkansas prior to the birth of our child. Located there in Children’s Hospital is the country’s leading pediatric surgeon who not only had performed this surgery hundred’s of times, but also trained other doctors in how to perform the procedure. God was providing a healing miracle, not in the way I thought, but in His plan.
As you continue to pray for your children, know that there are times you will pray until your knees become stiff and you wonder if God is hearing you. Ponder on our author’s comment, “We instinctively attach an ASAP to every prayer and ask God to answer as soon as possible. We need a paradigm shift. We need to start praying ALAT prayers – as long as it takes. That’s what praying circles is all about.” Praying for you as you read chapter 2 of “Praying Circles Around Your Children.”
2014-2015 NEHS INDUCTEES
Congratulations to our new 4th-6th grade NEHS inductees.
NEW THIS WEEK
Accelerated Reader (AR) Deadline & LS Test Taking Locations (October 7th & 8th)
The Accelerated Reader 1st quarter deadline is Wednesday, October 8th. Please encourage your child to meet his/ her goal in their classroom before Wednesday, October 8th. The Library will be closed to Lower School students Tuesday, October 7th and Wednesday, October 8th to facilitate AR tests for Middle and Upper School students.
LS students may take AR tests in the following assigned classrooms after dismissal until 3:45PM on Tuesday, October 7th and Wednesday, October 8th:
Grades K-2 – LS 134 (Mrs. Chavalas’ classroom)
Grades 3-4 – LS 207 (Mrs. Jackson’s classroom)
Grades 5-6 – LS 233 (Mr. Morrow’s classroom)
Portrait/Retake Day (October 14th)
Tuesday, October 14th is Portrait/Picture Retake Day. Please save the date if your child was absent from school and did not have his/her picture taken. This is the last opportunity to have your son/daughter’s picture taken for the yearbook. Picture Day order forms will be available next week. Please stay tuned for further information.
2nd Grade Pumpkin Centers
Wednesday, October 22nd (12:00-2:00PM) will be our annual Pumpkins Centers! We will be exploring Math concepts in a fun and messy way… Your child will need to:
• Bring in a small pumpkin that is no larger than half of his/her head (we count seeds)
• Write his/her name on the bottom of the pumpkin with a dark permanent marker
• Bring the pumpkin no earlier than Thursday, October 16th (to prevent rotting)
• Bring a parent on Wednesday, October 22nd (12:00-2:00PM) – we will need many volunteers for this day. Please arrive at 11:50AM to help setup. If you don’t want to miss out on the fun, please respond to the Sign-Up Genius invite that’s coming soon!
Shoeboxes for Haiti – We Need Your Help!
Parents, K4-12th grades will be collecting shoeboxes for Haiti October 1st-20th. Please pray as to how your family can help donate shoeboxes filled with items that will be a blessing to the children in Haiti. Lower School’s divisional goal is to donate 500 shoeboxes to New Missions to transport to students in Haiti. The following is a list of items that you and your child can use when purchasing items to donate: 1. School supplies: pens, pencils & sharpener, markers, spiral notebooks, solar calculator, rulers, erasers, etc. 2. Hygiene items: toothbrush, toothpaste, bar soap, washcloth, hand towel, hairbrush, comb, nail file and clippers, deodorant, etc. 3. Clothing: socks, underwear, lightweight clothing (t-shirts, sundresses, shorts with elastic waist), flip-flops, sandals, ball caps, sun visors, sunglasses, etc. 4. Other items: Christmas card for the child who will receive your shoebox, photo of your family, wristwatch, hair accessories, harmonica, costume jewelry, flashlight (with extra batteries or solar powered/wind-up), compact umbrella, etc. 5. Small toys: coloring books, crayons, dolls, small cars, dominoes, playing cards, jump ropes, balls (deflated with a small pump & needle for a soccer ball or basketball), yo-yo’s, stuffed animals, stickers, marbles, checkers, Etch A Sketch, etc. 6. Kindly include a $7 donation to help cover the cost of shipping. Simply enclose a check payable to New Missions. Please do not send cash. Click HERE for more information.
Homecoming Dress-Up Days
Let’s join in the fun and celebrate together as family of The First Academy. October 20th-25th is Spirit Week at Lower School. Spirit dress code for the week includes:
• TFA T-shirts (uniform, sports team, fine arts, camp, etc.)
• Appropriate bottoms (uniform shorts or pants, jeans, jeans shorts or jean skirts)
• Regular dress code for shoes apply
This year, students may wear the following fun items on the designated day:
• Monday – Lion Day: Students way bring a stuffed/toy lion
• Tuesday – Sock Day: Students may wear funny socks
• Wednesday – Glasses Day: Students may wear fun glasses of their choice
• Thursday – Hat Day: Students may wear a fantastic fun hat
• Friday – Blue & Gold Day: Students may wear blue and gold spirit wear if they do not have a
• Homecoming t-shirt
Lower School will have a Pep Rally from 9:50AM-10:20AM in the Gym on Friday, this will be another time to celebrate and support each other. Please click HERE to purchase your child(ren)’s Homecoming t-shirt.
LOWER SCHOOL ACCELERATED READER RECOGNITION (2014-2015)
Students will be recognized in their classrooms each quarter in accordance with their Percent Clubs.
• Students who meet their goal (100% or higher) will receive a certificate for achieving their goal.
• Teachers will continue to recognize AR in their individual classrooms using their own incentive systems.
• Students who reach 200% or more above their goal will receive a certificate for their corresponding club and will receive a school-based incentive.
• Students will be visually recognized in the Boyd Moline Library Media Center by their corresponding Percent Clubs (200%, 300%, etc.).
End-of-the Year Recognition
• All students who achieve 200% or higher of their Yearly AR point goal will be recognized.
• Students do not have to be at 200% or higher each quarter but must average 200% or higher for all 4 quarters.
6th Grade Girls Bible Study
6th grade girls Bible Study, “A Daughter’s Worth” will begin soon! This is a wonderful opportunity for your child to grow in Christ. Have your daughter sign up at the LS Front Desk if she is interested. Please note there is a minimal fee of $14.00 to cover the cost of the book for this Bible Study.
Please click HERE to access the TFA Calendar on our website. TFA Calendar is a wonderful way of keeping you and your family informed of upcoming events.
Prospective Families Can Text TFA!
Did you know that prospective families can text the letters TFA to 292929 and Admissions will call them? Thank you for sharing why you love TFA and helping us connect with future Royals!