Written by Dr. Steve Whitaker, Head of School
Earlier this week, we sent out a special announcement and update from TFA Athletics. Will Cohen, Athletic Director, and his team have been working diligently with select private schools since March to find a safe way to host athletic practices and contests this fall. I am blessed to say that all of their hard work and dedication has paid off and we look forward to beginning the fall sports season soon.
We will join five other independent schools in the Greater Orlando Area in the formation of The Citrus League, a competitive grouping for student-athletes in light of COVID-19.
The schools taking part in The Citrus League are Bishop Moore Catholic, Lake Highland Preparatory School, Montverde Academy, The First Academy, Trinity Preparatory School, and Windermere Preparatory School. The Citrus League schools will maintain their eligibility with the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA).
All schools in The Citrus League have all committed to the following core health and safety values:
- Require all students (Grades 6-12) to wear a mask during the school day
- Standardized daily screening procedures (temperature checks and COVID-19 questionnaire)
- Facilitate competition only within The Citrus League to limit travel
- Member schools will be paired with a different league opponent on a weekly rotation
- Commit to uphold uniform event management protocols
- Utilize the recommendations and guidance of The Citrus League Medical Task Force
We are currently solidifying schedules for tryouts and practices, as well as competition start dates. We will share all of that detailed information for fall sports at The First Academy and The Citrus League by the end of this week.