IMPORTANT EVENTS & DATES FOR APRIL & MAY
Parents, please take a moment to mark your calendars. The following are important dates that you do not want to miss:
- April 23: Humanities Scholar Bowl – Student Center, 9:35am
- April 23-25: US Senior Showcase – The Odd Couple – Black Box Theatre, 7:00pm; matinee, April 25, 2:00pm (click here to purchase tickets)
- April 28: MS & US Fine Arts Spring Concert – Faith Hall Stageside, 7:00pm
- April 29: Senior Brick Laying Ceremony – US Parking Lot/Flagpole, 8:15am
- April 30: US Chapel – Speaker: Zach Van Dyke – Student Center, 9:35am
- April 30: Alternative lunch for yearbook distribution (Upper School only – click here to order lunch)
- April 30: 6-12 Steel Drum Concert – Alumni Commons/Gym, 6:30pm
- May 4-8, 11-15: AP Exams
- May 5: US Chapel – Senior Chapel – Student Center, 1:25pm
- May 5-11: US Visual Arts Spring Exhibit – Library
- May 8: US Visual Arts-Meet the Artist – Library, throughout the day
- May 9: Rising Senior Parent Meeting – Student Center, 9:00am
- May 12: Graduation Rehearsal – Calvary Assembly, 1:00pm (seniors), 2:00pm (juniors-will take buses from TFA)
- May 16: Graduation Ceremony – Calvary Assembly, 10:00am
- May 18: Senior Step Up Event – Faith Hall Parking Lot, 7;00am
- May 19-22: Upper School Final Exams (see schedule below)
- May 22: Last day of school; 12:15pm dismissal
Senior Thesis Finalists
The Senior Thesis Competition represents the culmination of eight months of intensive work that students perform throughout their senior year. Inspired by the prompt that asks “Where do you see God?”, students pick a topic from any discipline and conduct research in that area to demonstrate God’s hand in even the most seemingly secular of areas. After writing 7- to 10-page scholarly research papers, they then synthesize their findings into presentations, at which time they are critically challenged to defend their findings and their faith. Nothing more clearly exemplifies the God-given intelligence and ability of TFA’s students! Congratulations to our senior thesis finalists who were selected to present in Upper School chapel on April 16: Ethan Billhime, Karla Geigel, Peyton Hopkins, Maddi Messner, Eli Roberge, Melissa Slade, and Abby Starcher.
1st Place Presentation: Ethan Billhime
2nd Place Presentation: Karla Geigel
3rd Place Presentation: Maddi Messner
Best Written Paper: Abby Starcher
NEW THIS WEEK
2015 AP Exam Schedule
House System Introduced to Parents
Our student leaders were excited to introduce the house system to Upper School parents during a meeting on Monday night. To close the informational meeting, parents prayed over our students and the new House System.
US Alt Lunch & Yearbook Distribution – Thursday, April 30
On Thursday, April 30, 2015, we will be distributing the TFA 2015 Legacy Yearbook to Upper School Students during lunch. Because of this, we will be having an alternative lunch in order for everyone to stay at the Upper School and have an opportunity for yearbook signing. Seniors will not have off-campus lunch for that day.
US SGA is offering an alternative lunch for Upper School students and faculty to purchase that day. We will be offering a Chick-fil-A meal for $5.50. Please note that this is only for Upper School students. Other grades will have their regular lunch.
1 Chick-fil-A sandwich – $5.50
Extra sandwich – additional $3.50
To order, please visit https://thefirstacademy.org/about/lunch/ to order this lunch if interested. Please submit your order by Tuesday, April 28, 2015 at 3pm.
When you submit your order, you should receive a confirmation page. You may need to scroll back to the top if your screen goes blank. You should also receive a confirmation email within 15 minutes from Larissa Galloway confirming receipt of payment. You do have the option of ordering for multiple students. Food distribution will be in the gym lobby.
Please remember that if you don’t like this option then you are welcome to bring something from home.
US Final Exam Schedule
Tuesday, May 19
9:00am – 11:00am: English
1:00pm – 3:00pm: Science
Wednesday, May 20
9:00am – 11:00am: Math
Thursday, May 21
9:00am – 11:00am: Social Studies
1:00pm – 3:00pm: Foreign Language
Friday, May 22
9:-00am – 11:00am: Electives & Make Up Exams
Students will only be required to be present for exams, although study halls will be made available during regular school hours. If a student is not taking an exam, then they must be in a study hall if they are on campus. All exams will be administered in the US building in various classrooms. The dress code will be spirit wear, to include standard uniform footwear and belts. Students need to arrive at their exam 10 minutes prior to the start.
Upper School Theatre presents The Odd Couple
You’re invited to our TFA Senior Showcase, The Odd Couple. Our senior theater students, along with help from the underclassmen, are excited to participate in this retelling of the classic Neil Simon play. Shows are scheduled for April 23-25 at 7:00pm, with an additional 2:00pm matinee on Saturday, April 25. Click here to purchase tickets.