IMPORTANT EVENTS & DATES FOR MARCH & APRIL
Parents, please take a moment to mark your calendars. The following are important dates that you do not want to miss:
- March 10-14: Senior Ski Trip – Breckenridge, Colorado (students return to school on March 16)
- March 10: US Chapel – Student Center, 9:28am
- March 11: End of 3rd quarter – 12:15pm dismissal
- March 11: MS/US Music and Theatre Department Field Trip – The King’s Academy, West Palm Beach
- March 16-19: Florida State Thespian Festival – Tampa, Florida
- March 17: US Chapel – Student Center, 9:28am
- March 17-20: Band Trip – Nashville, TN
- March 21-28: Spring Break – No School
- March 31: US Chapel – Student Center, 9:28am
- April 5: MS/US Combined Chapel – Student Center, 9:28am
- April 6: Winning House Field Trip – Dave & Buster’s
- April 7-8: US Spring Musical, Jane Eyre – Black Box Theatre, 7:00pm
- April 9: Junior/Senior Prom – The Forbidden Forest – Disney’s Boardwalk Resort, 6:30pm-10:00pm
- April 13: US Spring Musical, Jane Eyre – Student Matinee – Black Box Theatre, 2:45pm
- April 14-15: US Spring Musical, Jane Eyre – Black Box Theatre, 7:00pm
- April 14: US Senior Thesis Presentations – Student Center, 9:28am
- April 14: US Senior Recharge – Alumni Commons, 10:35am
Brooke Hill Selected for 2016 Congressional Art Competition
The Fine Arts Department is excited announce that Brooke Hill 12th will represent TFA in the 2016 Congressional Art Competition. Each spring, a nation-wide high school art competition is sponsored by the Members of the U.S. House of Representatives. This is a unique opportunity in which Congressman Webster is able to showcase the artistic talents of high school students within the 10th District of Florida. Since its inception in 1982, over 650,000 high school students have been involved with the nationwide competition. The winning entry from the district will be prominently displayed in the Cannon Tunnel in Washington, D.C. for a year! The Cannon Tunnel connects the Cannon House Office Building with the U.S. Capitol and is traveled on a daily basis by Members of Congress, their staff, and visitors.
NEW THIS WEEK
Senior Ski Trip
Seniors on the ski trip leave on Thursday, March 10 and return on Monday, March 14. Seniors who are not going on the trip are also excused from classes March 10, 11, 14 and 15. Students who are not on the trip are welcome to attend classes that are still meeting, however, classes that only have seniors will not be meeting. All seniors must return to class on Wednesday, March 16.
West Point Admissions Information Meeting
Students in grades 9-11 who are interested in West Point United States Military Academy are invited to attend an information meeting.
Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 6:00pm
US Army Reserve Center: 9500 Armed Forces Reserve Drive, Orlando, FL 32827
Please RSVP to email@example.com with your name, email address, phone number and how many will be attending.
Visual Art Student Work on Display
Junior/Senior Prom 2016
You’re invited! The junior class welcomes all juniors and seniors to The First Academy’s 2016 Prom, The Forbidden Forest, Where Time Stands Still.
Saturday, April 9, 2016 at 6:30pm
Disney’s Boardwalk Resort: 2101 Epcot Resorts Blvd, Orlando, FL 32830
Purchase tickets here: https://thefirstacademy.org/academics/upper/student-life/dances/
Senior Girls Self Defense Class
We are hosting a one hour self-defense class on April 20th and May 11th. There are two time slots available each day and only 15 spots for each class. Sign up today by using the form stack below! The cost is only $25. Last year was our first year to hold the class. Our lead instructor was TFA mom and OPD Officer Karen Long. Since that first class Officer Long passed away with cancer. Beginning this year we have decided to honor her by naming the class in her memory.
Corporal and Master Police Officer Kevlon Kirkpatrick from the Orlando Police Department assisted Officer Long last year and will once again help introduce you to life-saving techniques useful in your everyday life. Learning self-defense is not something that should be optional, it could potentially save you! Come on out and learn how to defend yourself, things to look out for, and how to avoid negative situations.
Follow this link to register: https://tfa.formstack.com/forms/self_defense
Yearbook Order Reminder
Time is running out to get your Legacy Yearbook. Get a piece of TFA 2016 memories while supplies last. The last date to purchase online is March 18th. Go to Jostens.com to buy one today! Remember this book is for ALL students, including Lower, Middle, and Upper School. The yearbook team thanks you for all your support.
9th Grade SCAN Meetings
TFA US College Advisors will start scheduling individual 9th grade students for SCAN (Student, College, Academic, & Naviance) meetings to review our graduation requirements, college-preparation plans, and students’ PSAT results. Parents who have missed the SCAN meetings in the Fall semester are strongly encouraged to join. Meetings will be scheduled during free/elective periods, so please look out for your College Advisor’s email in regards to the meeting!