IMPORTANT EVENTS & DATES FOR MARCH & APRIL
Parents, please take a moment to mark your calendars. The following are important dates that you do not want to miss:
- March 16-19: Florida State Thespian Festival – Tampa, Florida
- March 17: US Chapel – Optional Worship – Student Center, 9:28am
- March 17-20: Band Trip – Nashville, TN
- March 21-28: Spring Break – No School
- March 31: Coffee with College Advisors (Junior Class parents only) – Library, 8:00am
- March 31: US Chapel – Student Center, 9:28am
- April 5: MS/US Combined Chapel – Student Center, 9:28am
- April 6: Winning House Field Trip – Dave & Buster’s
- April 7: Coffee with College Advisors (Junior Class parents only) – Library, 8:00am
- April 7-8: US Spring Musical, Jane Eyre – Black Box Theatre, 7:00pm
- April 9: Junior/Senior Prom – The Forbidden Forest – Disney’s Boardwalk Resort, 6:30pm-10:00pm
- April 13: US Spring Musical, Jane Eyre – Student Matinee – Black Box Theatre, 2:45pm
- April 14-15: US Spring Musical, Jane Eyre – Black Box Theatre, 7:00pm
- April 14: US Senior Thesis Presentations – Student Center, 9:28am
- April 14: US Senior Recharge – Alumni Commons, 10:35am
Sophia Vitello Competes at State Poetry Out Loud Competition
Congrats to Sophia Vitello, who represented TFA at the Florida Poetry Out Loud Competition last weekend in Tampa. Out of 50+ competitors, Sophia was the only freshman to place in the top 10. Sophia truly embodies participation as a way of life!
NEW THIS WEEK
Class of 2017 (Junior Class) Parents – Coffee with College Advisors
With the Senior year for your students right around the corner, come grab some coffee and ask questions in preparation for college applications! TFA Upper School College Advisors will be available on Thursday, March 31st and April 7th at 8 a.m in the library. Please sign up for either of the dates: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0e4ea8af2ba13-coffee
We will be meeting with students in the English classrooms in April.
West Point Admissions Information Meeting
Students in grades 9-11 who are interested in West Point United States Military Academy are invited to attend an information meeting.
Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 6:00pm
US Army Reserve Center: 9500 Armed Forces Reserve Drive, Orlando, FL 32827
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, email address, phone number and how many will be attending.
Visual Art Student Work on Display
Junior/Senior Prom 2016
You’re invited! The junior class welcomes all juniors and seniors to The First Academy’s 2016 Prom, The Forbidden Forest, Where Time Stands Still.
Saturday, April 9, 2016 at 6:30pm
Disney’s Boardwalk Resort: 2101 Epcot Resorts Blvd, Orlando, FL 32830
Purchase tickets here: https://thefirstacademy.org/academics/upper/student-life/dances/
Girls Self Defense Class
*Now open to grades 9th-12th*
We are hosting a one hour self-defense class on April 20th and May 11th. There are two time slots available each day and only 15 spots for each class. Sign up today by using the form stack below! The cost is only $25. Last year was our first year to hold the class. Our lead instructor was TFA mom and OPD Officer Karen Long. Since that first class Officer Long passed away with cancer. Beginning this year we have decided to honor her by naming the class in her memory.
Corporal and Master Police Officer Kevlon Kirkpatrick from the Orlando Police Department assisted Officer Long last year and will once again help introduce you to life-saving techniques useful in your everyday life. Learning self-defense is not something that should be optional, it could potentially save you! Come on out and learn how to defend yourself, things to look out for, and how to avoid negative situations.
Follow this link to register: https://tfa.formstack.com/forms/self_defense
Yearbook Order Reminder
Time is running out to get your Legacy Yearbook. Get a piece of TFA 2016 memories while supplies last. The last date to purchase online is March 18th. Go to Jostens.com to buy one today! Remember this book is for ALL students, including Lower, Middle, and Upper School. The yearbook team thanks you for all your support.
9th Grade SCAN Meetings
TFA US College Advisors will start scheduling individual 9th grade students for SCAN (Student, College, Academic, & Naviance) meetings to review our graduation requirements, college-preparation plans, and students’ PSAT results. Parents who have missed the SCAN meetings in the Fall semester are strongly encouraged to join. Meetings will be scheduled during free/elective periods, so please look out for your College Advisor’s email in regards to the meeting!