IMPORTANT EVENTS & DATES FOR MAY
Parents, please take a moment to mark your calendars. The following are important dates that you do not want to miss:
- May 3-6: Alternative Lunch
- May 5: National Day of Prayer
- May 5: AP Exam – Calculus AB – NOVA Southeastern Orlando Campus, 8:00am
- May 5: AP Exam – Calculus BC – NOVA Southeastern Orlando Campus, 8:00am
- May 6: AP Exam – Studio Portfolios Due
- May 6: AP Exam – US History – NOVA Southeastern Orlando Campus, 8:00am
- May 6: AP Exam – European History – NOVA Southeastern Orlando Campus, 12:00pm
- May 9: AP Exam – Biology – NOVA Southeastern Orlando Campus, 8:00am
- May 9: AP Exam – Music Theory – US room 145, 8:00am
- May 10: AP Exam – US Government & Politics – NOVA Southeastern Orlando Campus, 8:00am
- May 11: AP Exam – English Lang – NOVA Southeastern Orlando Campus, 8:00am
- May 11: US House Carnival – Student Center
- May 12: AP Exam – World History – NOVA Southeastern Orlando Campus, 8:00am
- May 12: AP Exam – Statistics – NOVA Southeastern Orlando Campus, 12:00pm
- May 13: AP Exam – Human Geography – NOVA Southeastern Orlando Campus, 8:00am
- May 13: Thespian Inductions – US 210, 12:35pm (US lunch)
- May 14: Rising Senior Parent Meeting – Student Center, 9:00am
- May 16: Senior Step Up – Faith Hall parking lot, 7:00am – students back in class by 8:30am
- May 17: Graduation Practice – Worship Center, 1:00pm (seniors), 2:00pm (juniors)
- May 20: Graduation – Worship Center, 6:45pm
- May 20-25: US Final Exams
- May 25: Last Day of School – 12:15pm dismissal
National Merit Qualifiers
Congratulations to our National Merit Qualifiers: Caitlin Barker, Jessica Meena, and Hamilton Murrah. Of the 1.5 million juniors who took the PSAT last fall, these students were selected among the top 50,000 Selection Index scores. In September, students will be notified if they are Commended or move on to the next round as Semifinalists. More info: http://www.nationalmerit.org/s/1758/interior.aspx?sid=1758&gid=2&pgid=424
NEW THIS WEEK
First Orlando – Class of 2016 Recognition
The Class of 2016 will be honored at First Orlando on Sunday, May 15 at 9:45am in Faith Hall Lakeside. All graduating seniors and their families are invited to breakfast (free for student, $5 for each additional guest). Seniors who wish to have their picture included in the handout must go to the Student Center to have their picture taken on Sunday, May 1 anytime between 9:30am-12:00pm. Click here for more details: FBCO Class of 2016 Recognition
For more information, contact Catherine de Armas: CatherinedeArmas@FirstOrlando.com
Spring Art Exhibit
Mrs. Collins’ and Mrs. Gegerson’s students prepared and participated in the TFA Fall Visual Art Exhibit in the library last week. They also hosted a Lemonade Reception where visitors joined them at the exhibit to view and discuss their work. At this reception, Mrs. Collins’ Ceramics I students enjoyed Lemonade from their own homemade Ceramic mugs! They learned how to make these mugs food safe by using special glazes and processes.
These Upper School Visual Art Students learned how to host and develop a community exhibit, fulfilling several key points from the State Standards of curriculum for Visual Art. They exercised critical thinking and problem solving skills to solve aesthetic spacial relationships to provide an attractive public display for visitors.
All library books are due back to the library by Friday, May 20th. Thank you for your consideration.
Summer AR Testing
Accelerated Reader will be turned off on Monday, May 23rd to allow time to set up the 2016-2017 school year. Summer AR testing will become available beginning Monday, June 6th. The library will not be open for testing over the summer, but students may take tests on iDevices via the AR app Monday through Friday from 9 AM-3 PM. If students don’t have their own iDevices, there will be iPads available for AR testing in the Lower School lobby. Students must be on campus logged on to either the TFA Guest or TFA wifi to take AR tests. All tests taken during the summer will apply toward the first quarter goal of the 2016-2017 school year. For further information, please click here: 2016 Summer AR Directions
AP Exam Reminders – May 2016
With your AP Exams starting next week, please be sure to plan accordingly!
- Remember that our AP Testing location will be at NOVA Southeastern Orlando Campus (you must be outside of the testing room by no later than 7:45 am for 8 am testing & 11:45 am for 12 pm testing)
- Address: 4850 Millenia Blvd, Orlando, FL 32839 (AP Music Theory & AP Spanish Lang will be administrated at TFA in the Upper School building)
- AP Testing room assignment details will be sent next week
- If you are taking two exams in one day, please pack your lunch!
- Cellphone/backpack rules: https://professionals.collegeboard.org/testing/ap/test-day/bring
- Calculator policy: https://professionals.collegeboard.org/testing/ap/test-day/calculators
- Dress code: Jeans and TFA Spirit-wear
Plastic Bottle Cap Collection
Our Upper School AP Environmental Science students have been invited by Sea Life Aquarium (at Orlando 360 on I-Drive) to construct a small mural made of bottle caps that will be displayed by their education department. Sea Life Aquarium is actively involved in turtle rescue and beach clean-up efforts so this a great joint effort. Thousands of sea birds, turtles and other marine organisms die because they swallow bottle caps and other pieces of plastic that clog their digestive system and leach toxins into their bodies, so we are excited about having the student body join in this educational effort by contributing caps to our collection.
In order to create this mural (see attached picture), the AP Environmental Science students NEED HUNDREDS OF PLASTIC BOTTLE CAPS OF EVERY COLOR no more than 2″ across. Please make sure the lids are clean of all food particles.
These plastic lids can include those from all types of beverage containers (including the paper containers with plastic spouts), condiment lids (ketchup, squeeze mayo etc), flimsy caps from spray cans such as PAM or hairspray, lotion caps, pull up liquid detergent style caps, oval stick deodorant lids, and even spray nozzles (the small ones like spray paint). We especially need blues, greens, reds, yellows and oranges, but all the other colors will allow us more variety in our coral reef. If it is a cap that is around 2 inches, it has to be flimsy enough so we can cut it (laundry caps are too thick to do this).
All lids can dropped off in Mrs. Wasylik’s classroom, US room 231, by Friday, May 6.
Thanks for your help!
-Mrs. Wasylik and the AP Environmental Science students
Save the Date – End of Year Events
Rising Senior Parent Meeting (at least one parent is required to attend) – Saturday, May 14, 9:00am – Student Center
Senior Step Up – Monday, May 16, 7:00am – Faith Hall Parking Lot
Graduation Ceremony – Friday, May 20, 6:45pm – First Baptist Orlando Worship Center