My 3-year old son recently began to pepper me constantly with the most incredible question, “Why, Daddy?”
- Samuel, get off of the kitchen counter: “Why, Daddy?”
- Samuel, don’t hit your sister: “Why, Daddy?”
- Samuel, if you don’t stop asking why I’m going to…“Why, Daddy?”
You get the picture. My son’s “why” questions highlight the desire we all have to find purpose and meaning in everything we do, even the smallest tasks. As we begin the 2017-18 school year, you might ask why our students are required to attend regular chapel services. I’m glad you did.
At The First Academy, we believe God reveals Himself in all of creation. Psalm 19:1-2 says, “The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. Day to day pours out speech, and night to night reveals knowledge.” God reveals a part of Himself to us in the skies – namely, that His glory and creative power are altogether wonderful.
God put His glory on display in the stars, but without exploring His “self-revelation” further, our students could never know the Lord by simply looking up at night. But praise the Lord for revealing Himself beyond the stars – namely, through the Bible.
Without exception, a biblical worldview is the centerpiece of every classroom at The First Academy, but chapel is a very special experience. During chapel services, entire divisions will focus exclusively on what God has revealed to us in His Word and join with the Psalmist to sing praises like, “Great is the Lord and most worthy of praise; His greatness no one can fathom!” And they’ll experience this all together.
This year we have an outstanding group of pastors, church planters, and ministry leaders who will be opening the Word with our students that includes:
- Dr. David Uth – Senior Pastor, First Baptist Orlando
- Dr. Walter Strickland – 1st Vice President, Southern Baptist Convention
- Cam Triggs – Pastor & Church Planter, Grace Alive Church
- Chris Bacon – Student Pastor, First Baptist Orlando
- Bishop Allen Wiggins – Pastor, The Hope Church of Orlando
- Dr. Brent Crowe – Vice President, Student Leadership University
Please join me in praying for these leaders and for chapel worship in 2017-18!