IMPORTANT UPCOMING EVENTS & DATES
Parents, please take a moment to mark your calendars. The following are important dates that you do not want to miss:
- January 13th: 6th Grade Field Trip to Animal Kingdom
- January 16th: Student/Teacher Holiday-Martin Luther King Day
- January 18th: KPrep On-Campus Field Trip-Gatorland
- January 18th: 2nd Grade Field Trip to Blue Springs
- January 20th: Lower School Night at the Orlando Magic Game
- January 25th: K4 and Kindergarten 100th Day of School Celebration
- February 3rd: 1st Grade Field Trip to the Science Center
- February 3rd: 3rd Grade Miss Alaineus Parade
- February 7th: Parent Association Meeting 8:15-9:45AM (Faith Hall 3rd Floor)
- February 9th and 10th: LS Alternative Lunch Days
- February 10th: Father-Daughter Dance 6:30-9:30Pm (Country Club of Orlando)
- February 14th: 2nd and 3rd Grade Field Trip to Orlando Reperatory Theater
- February 17th: Student Holiday/Professional Development Day
- February 20th: Student/Teacher Holiday-President’s Day
CHAPEL VENUES, DATES, & TIMES
The following is a list of upcoming chapel dates and times:
- January 12th: K4-5th Grade Chapel: Ms. Burns’s Class Presentation 8:30-9:15AM (Faith Hall)
- January 12th: 6th/MS Grade Chapel: 9:30-9:15AM (Faith Hall)
- January 19th: K4-5th Grade Chapel: Mrs. Dowling’s Class Presentation 8:30-9:15AM (Faith Hall)
- January 19th: 6th/MS Grade Chapel: 9:30-9:15AM (Faith Hall)
- January 26th: K4-5th Grade Chapel: Mrs. Williams’s Class Presentation 8:30-9:15AM (Faith Hall)
- January 26th: 6th/MS Grade Chapel: 9:30-9:15AM (Faith Hall)
- February 2nd: K4-5th Grade Chapel: Mrs. Fox’s Class Presentation 8:30-9:15AM (Faith Hall)
- February 2nd: 6th/MS Grade Chapel: 9:30-9:15AM (Faith Hall)
- February 9th: K4-5th Grade Chapel: Mrs. Cline’s Class Presentation 8:30-9:15AM (Henry Chapel)
- February 9th: 6th/MS Grade Chapel: 9:30-9:15AM (Henry Chapel)
- February 16th: K4-5th Grade Chapel: Mrs. Camblin’s Class Presentation 8:30-9:15AM (Faith Hall)
- February 16th: 6th/MS Grade Chapel: 9:30-9:15AM (Faith Hall)
- February 23rd: K4-5th Grade Chapel: Mrs. Walton’s Class Presentation 8:30-9:15AM (Faith Hall)
- February 23rd: 6th/MS Grade Chapel: 9:30-9:15AM (Faith Hall)
A NOTE FROM MRS. JACKSON
Our character trait for the month of January is Courtesy. We define courtesy as showing others respect by showing good manners. As we focusing on showing respect to others with good manners, we are also focusing on the heart behind that respect and those specific behaviors. Our verse for this month’s trait is the following:
In everything, do to others what you would want them to do to you. This is what is written in the Law and in the Prophets. Matthew 7:12
As with any of our traits, we focus on how it should look in our lives but also why it should be a part of our lives and that begins with the heart. When we talk about being courteous and using good manners, it really means treating those around us with respect and kindness, which is really how we would like them to treat us. We are created in the image of God and what we say and do should be a reflection of that. As far as our hearts go, we should strive for courtesy out of gratitude for all that God has done for us. We do not deserve all of the grace and mercy He extends us in our imperfections but God still extends it to all of us each and every day, and that includes your children. I often think of good manners as no elbows on the table and saying please or thank you but it is so much more than that and I am excited to see how the students grow in this area this month and even this school year. Thank you for being partnering with us to help our students grow to reflect Jesus in all that they say and do!
The 2017 National Geographic Bee was held January 11th in the Black Box Theatre in the Middle School of The First Academy. 30 students from grades 6-8 competed. These students scored the highest on the preliminary competition in their respective grade levels.
After several tie-breakers, the 2017 Geography Bee winner was Liam Philbin from 6th Grade
and the runner-up was Drew Middleton from 8th Grade.
Liam will be taking an online test to see if he qualifies for the state competition in Jacksonville in March.
All 30 students, who participated in the bee, will be receiving cash prizes in Chapel to celebrate their academic success!!
Here were the top 10 results
Tied for fourth place: Evan Ryan, Lauren Philbin, Reghan Coughlin
Tied for third place: Adrian Karam, Burton Pringle, Caleb Andarge, Camp Magee, Ryan Slattery
Runner-up: Drew Middleton
Winner: Liam Philbin
Again, congratulations to all thirty students that qualified for the 2017 National Geographic Bee!
NEW THIS WEEK
Extended Library Hours
In an effort to better serve our TFA families, the Boyd-Moline Library will extend their afternoon hours beginning next week. The library will be open until 4:30pm on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays for the remainder of the school year. Students must still be accompanied by parents or guardians in the library after school. Accelerated Reader testing will be available until 4:15pm and book checkout until 4:20pm.
Women’s Bible Study
Erin Warren, the Director of Women’s Ministry at FBCO, is organizing a women’s Bible study for TFA moms! The small groups will read Open Your Bible, over 7 weeks. The Bible study will start the week of January 23, 2017.
Please register on the following link to tell us what day and time works best for you and if you’d like to facilitate: https://firstorlando.ccbchurch.com/form_response.php?id=99
Father Daughter Dance-Purchase Tickets Today
It’s time to purchase tickets for our second annual Father-Daughter Dance. This fun event is open to all girls in 1st through 6th grade. It is a fun night of food, dancing, and even a great photo booth. This event was a great time last year and you do not want to miss it! The cost is $35 for each daughter and $45 for dads and tickets may be purchased HERE.
This is just a friendly reminder that students may be dropped off beginning at 7:30AM. If you arrive to school prior to that time, we request that students remain with their parents until 7:30AM. The library and the gym are open at that time. Student supervision does not begin until that time.
The Boyd Moline Library will be open until 3:45pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays this year. It will close at 3:30pm on Monday and Friday and at 2:40pm on Wednesdays.
The TFA Calendar is a wonderful way to find the dates of upcoming events. Access our web-based calendar anytime. We recommend that you subscribe to all relevant calendars so you can keep up with all of the events going on around the school.
Parent Volunteer Background Check
If you are a new parent and would like to volunteer in your child(ren)’s classroom(s) or chaperone on field trips please complete our free background check. Please note that the background check site only works on Internet Explorer or Firefox on a desktop computer. Safari and Chrome are not supported by the site. Approvals take a few weeks so plan ahead! All parents must have a completed background check before volunteering of chaperoning on a field trip.