IMPORTANT EVENTS & DATES FOR OCTOBER
Parents, please take a moment to mark your calendars. The following are important dates that you do not want to miss:
- October 12: MS/US Chapel – Worship Center, 9:30am
- October 13: End of 1st Quarter
- October 16-21: Homecoming Week
- October 16: Dress Up Day – Theme Day (Circus)
- October 16: Powder Puff Game – PSAC, 6:30pm
- October 17: Dress Up Day – Come One, Come All (Duo/Group)
- October 18: Dress Up Day – Rooooaaaaar! (Anything that begins with the letter R)
- October 19: Lions, Tigers & Bears, Oh My! (Your favorite animal)
- October 19: MS/US Chapel – Faith Hall, 9:25am
- October 20: Homecoming Shirt / Spirit Wear
- October 20: Homecoming Parade – Loop Road, 9:30am
- October 20: Pep Rally – Field House, 10:00am
- October 20: 30th Anniversary Carnival – US Parking Lot, 5:00pm
- October 20: Homecoming Football Game – PSAC, 7:30pm
- October 21: Homecoming Dance – Student Center, 7:30pm
The National Art Honor Society Shares Their Love for Art!
The National Art Honor Society, sponsored by Cynthia Collins and Kim Moseler, is partnering with First Orlando’s Counseling Center for a special project. These students are painting multiple canvases with encouraging scriptures to be used in the offices at the center. Visual Art, as with all Fine Arts, has a voice that reaches places that sometimes words alone does not reach. NAHS thanks the FBCO Counseling Center for the privilege of sharing God’s Words through their love of Art!
NEW THIS WEEK
MS/US Chapel Recap 10/5
By Abby B., Class of 2018
On Thursday, Brent Crowe, the vice president of Student Leadership University, came and spoke to us during chapel. He preached on Philippians chapter 1 about Paul being imprisoned. He mentioned how at the time Paul’s ministry was not thriving, but regardless the gospel was still advancing. His sermon was focused around two questions. First, “Do you have a divine perspective on unfortunate circumstances?” Second, “Is your life inspiring someone else to fulfill their purposes?”
I was so inspired by his charge to us to continue to spread God’s name even when our circumstances aren’t always ideal. He shared a beautiful story about his grandmother and the hardships that she faced. But, rather than letting her circumstances bring her down, she chose to follow God with reckless abandon just like Paul did. Overall, I felt that many of my peers were impacted by his message to look past our circumstances and to recognize the goodness of God.
College Guidance Office
ORLANDO NATIONAL COLLEGE FAIR
The National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) Orlando National College Fair is quickly approaching! Free and open to the public, NACAC fairs connect students and families to hundreds of college and universities in one location.
- Sunday, October 15th from 1:00-4:00pm
- Fair will be at the Orange County Convention Center – West Concourse (9800 International Drive, Orlando, FL 32819)
- For more information, visit https://www.nacacfairs.org/attend/national-college-fairs/orlando-national-college-fair/
COLLEGE INFORMATION SESSIONS
College admissions representatives from Harvard University Princeton University, University of Virginia, Wellesley College, and Yale University will discuss academic programs, campus life, selective college admissions, and financial aid for the respective schools.
- Monday, October 16th at 7:00pm
- Event will be held at the Orlando Airport Marriott Lakeside (7499 Augusta National Drive, Orlando, FL 32822)
- Please register at http://www.hpuwy.com/
Check out the the latest Upper School blog for the colleges visiting TFA this Fall! Juniors and Seniors must sign up through Naviance: Click Here!
If you want to speak to representatives from these colleges, sign up in Naviance to speak to them when they’re on campus.
- 10/12: Bryant University
- 10/13: Florida Institute of Technology, University of South Florida-Tampa, University of Kentucky & University of Miami
- 10/16: Butler University, Nova Southeastern University, Wofford College, Baylor University, University of Hawaii at Manoa & Washington College
- 10/17: Clemson University, University of Roehampton & Florida Atlantic University
- 10/19: Massachusetts College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences
- 10/20: Pace University-New York City
- 10/25: Florida Polytechnic University
- 10/26: University of Alabama at Huntsville, Berry College & Elon University
All attendance notifications and questions should be communicated directly to Ms. Lyn Maxime, Upper School Receptionist. All Upper School students who are tardy to campus must check in with Ms. Maxime in the Upper School office when they arrive at school. You may contact Ms. Maxime concerning your student being tardy or absent at 407-206-8630 or email her at email@example.com.
WT Cafe – New Lunch Program
We are so excited to be partnering with WT Care for our school lunch program. Many of you were able to sample some of the offerings during New Family Orientation. The process for Lower School Instructions for registering your account and adding funds:
- Visit www.wtcafe.com
- A box should pop-up in your browser window with “Welcome to WT Cafe” at the top. In this window select your location, which is Orlando
- Once “Orlando” has been selected, click “Order Now” (located in a big red box on the right side of the page, at the top)
- Once on the next page, you will need to sign-up. Find the area labeled “Not A Customer? Sign Up” and click there
- Continue on, completing the required fields
- Once all of the fields have been successfully filled out, your registration will be complete and you will receive an email from WT Cafe with your login information
- You will need to follow the instructions provided in the email to login to your newly registered account, add funds, and view the menu. You can even sign up for Auto-Reload so you don’t have to worry about manually re-filling your account. As long as your account is funded, your student will come through the line and enjoy a fresh, delicious, made from scratch lunch!
Parent Volunteer Background Check
If you are a new parent and would like to volunteer in your child(ren)’s classroom(s) or chaperone on field trips please complete our free background check. Please note that the background check site only works on Internet Explorer or Firefox on a desktop computer. Safari and Chrome are not supported by the site. Approvals take a few weeks so plan ahead! All parents must have a completed background check before volunteering in the classroom or chaperoning on a field trip.