IMPORTANT EVENTS & DATES FOR SEPTEMBER & OCTOBER
Parents, please take a moment to mark your calendars. The following are important dates that you do not want to miss:
- September 28: National Honor Society Induction Ceremony (grades 11-12) – Student Center, 9:25am
- October 3: Parent Association Meeting – Faith Hall room 301, 8:15am
- October 4: Senior Recharge – Field House Lobby, 10:20am
- October 5: MS/US Chapel – Worship Center, 9:25am
- October 6: US Early Dismissal – 12:15pm Dismissal
- October 9: No School – Student Holiday/Teacher Workday
- October 11: PSAT Testing (grades 8-11) – US building
- October 11: Senior Cap & Gown Group Picture – Henry Chapel, 8:00am; Senior Thesis Work – Student Center, 9:30am
- October 12: MS/US Chapel – Worship Center, 9:30am
- October 13: End of 1st Quarter
AP Mannequin Exhibit
Last week, TFA rscaped into the art culture dimension to stroll through live sculpture! Mrs. Collins’ APStudio Art 3D class exhibited their ‘wearable art’ in a Live Mannequin Exhibit during Royal Recharge. Mr. McKey’s Advanced Steel Drums Band played to set the mood, Mrs. Moseler’s AP Studio Art 2D class brought out their drawing boards, and Dunkin Donuts were served to students, parents, teachers, staff, and administration while they enjoyed the exhibit.
NEW THIS WEEK
PSAT Testing – October 11 – 8th-11th Grade
Dear TFA Families,
The semester is already flying by and the Collegeboard’s Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test (PSAT) is right around the corner on Wednesday, October 11th, 2017. The PSAT are highly relevant to student’s future success as it focuses on the skills and knowledge through measurement of what they learn in high school and what they need in college.
The PSAT is a practice test for the official SAT. Students should be aware that:
For 11th graders: PSAT scores are used to determine all National Merit Qualifying levels and for course recommendations next school year.
For ALL students, the PSAT score is used in conjunction with teacher recommendations for course recommendations next school year.
All of our 8th and 9th graders will be taking the PSAT 8/9. For more information & preparation regarding this test, please visit here.
All of our 10th and 11th graders will be taking the standard PSAT/NMSQT. For more information & preparation regarding this test, please visit here.
Here are some important reminders and tips to get ready for test day:
Graphing and Scientific calculators are recommended for the test. A list of prohibited electronics for test day can be found here.
Bring two sharpened #2 pencils for the test.
Here is a list of what NOT to bring:
Any devices, including smartwatches, that can be used to record, transmit, receive or play back audio, photographic, text, or video content
Protractors, compasses, rulers
Dictionaries or other books. There are no exceptions, even if English is not your first language.
Food and drinks, including bottled water, unless approved by the College Board’s Services for Students with Disabilities.
Arrive on time no later than 7:50 am! *Students who are tardy will not be able to make-up this test and will be held in the study hall until 11:45 am.
Please let your College Advisor know if you have any questions.
College Guidance Team
Uniform donations will be accepted 9/28 & 9/29. The drop-off areas are the Lower School Lobby, Upper School Lobby, and Student Center. Only Dennis Uniforms will be accepted.
Raw Footage is the weekly US news segment produced by Mrs. Morabito’s Digital Media classes. Click here to check out this week’s edition of Raw Footage!
College Guidance Office
Admissions officers from Duke University will present information and answer questions about the university, the admissions process, financial aid, and much more.
- Sunday, October 8th at 3:00pm or 5:00pm
- Event will be held at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Orlando Airport (5828 Hazeltine National Drive, Orlando, FL 32822)
- Please register at https://admiss.ugrad.duke.edu/portal/discover-duke
ORLANDO NATIONAL COLLEGE FAIR
The National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) Orlando National College Fair is quickly approaching! Free and open to the public, NACAC fairs connect students and families to hundreds of college and universities in one location.
- Sunday, October 15th from 1:00-4:00pm
- Fair will be at the Orange County Convention Center – West Concourse (9800 International Drive, Orlando, FL 32819)
- For more information, visit https://www.nacacfairs.org/attend/national-college-fairs/orlando-national-college-fair/
COLLEGE INFORMATION SESSIONS
College admissions representatives from Harvard University Princeton University, University of Virginia, Wellesley College, and Yale University will discuss academic programs, campus life, selective college admissions, and financial aid for the respective schools.
- Monday, October 16th at 7:00pm
- Event will be held at the Orlando Airport Marriott Lakeside (7499 Augusta National Drive, Orlando, FL 32822)
- Please register at http://www.hpuwy.com/
Check out the the latest Upper School blog for the colleges visiting TFA this Fall! Juniors and Seniors must sign up through Naviance: Click Here!
If you want to speak to representatives from these colleges, sign up in Naviance to speak to them when they’re on campus.
- 9/28: Dickinson College & Mercer University
- 9/29: Providence College, Sewanee: The University of the South & Ohio State University
- 10/2: High Point University, Stetson University & New York University
- 10/3: Belmont University, Pennyslvania State University & Winthrop University
- 10/4: Agnes Scott College, Samford University & West Virginia Wesleyan College
- 10/5: George Mason University, Johnson & Wales University & Worcester Polytechnic Institute
All attendance notifications and questions should be communicated directly to Ms. Lyn Maxime, Upper School Receptionist. All Upper School students who are tardy to campus must check in with Ms. Maxime in the Upper School office when they arrive at school. You may contact Ms. Maxime concerning your student being tardy or absent at 407-206-8630 or email her at email@example.com.
WT Cafe – New Lunch Program
We are so excited to be partnering with WT Care for our school lunch program. Many of you were able to sample some of the offerings during New Family Orientation. The process for Lower School Instructions for registering your account and adding funds:
- Visit www.wtcafe.com
- A box should pop-up in your browser window with “Welcome to WT Cafe” at the top. In this window select your location, which is Orlando
- Once “Orlando” has been selected, click “Order Now” (located in a big red box on the right side of the page, at the top)
- Once on the next page, you will need to sign-up. Find the area labeled “Not A Customer? Sign Up” and click there
- Continue on, completing the required fields
- Once all of the fields have been successfully filled out, your registration will be complete and you will receive an email from WT Cafe with your login information
- You will need to follow the instructions provided in the email to login to your newly registered account, add funds, and view the menu. You can even sign up for Auto-Reload so you don’t have to worry about manually re-filling your account. As long as your account is funded, your student will come through the line and enjoy a fresh, delicious, made from scratch lunch!
Parent Volunteer Background Check
If you are a new parent and would like to volunteer in your child(ren)’s classroom(s) or chaperone on field trips please complete our free background check. Please note that the background check site only works on Internet Explorer or Firefox on a desktop computer. Safari and Chrome are not supported by the site. Approvals take a few weeks so plan ahead! All parents must have a completed background check before volunteering in the classroom or chaperoning on a field trip.