IMPORTANT EVENTS & DATES FOR APRIL
Parents, please take a moment to mark your calendars. The following are important dates that you do not want to miss:
- April 9-10, 16-18: US Spring Play, Promedy – Black Box Theatre, 7:00pm; Student-only show: April 15, 3:00pm (click here to buy tickets)
- April 11: Prom – Rosen Shingle Creek, 6:30-10:30pm (click here to buy tickets)
- April 13: Special US Chapel – Speaker: Bob Goff – Student Center, 8:45am
- April 14: Alternative Lunch Day (K-12) (click here to purchase lunch)
- April 16: Senior Thesis Presentation – Student Center, 9:35am
- April 20: Senior Lunch – Student Center, 12:35pm
- April 20: Upper School & Senior Awards Ceremony Practice (senior students only) – Faith Hall Stageside, 1:30pm
- April 22: Upper School & Senior Awards Ceremony (for grades 9-12) – Faith Hall Stageside, 9:00am
- April 22-May 1: AP Visual Art Portfolio Exhibit – Library
- April 23: Humanities Scholar Bowl – Student Center, 9:35am
- April 23-25: US Senior Showcase – The Odd Couple – Black Box Theatre, 7:00pm; matinee, April 25, 2:00pm
- April 28: MS & US Fine Arts Spring Concert – Location TBD, 7:00pm
- April 29: Senior Brick Laying Ceremony – US Parking Lot/Flagpole, 8:15am
- April 30: US Chapel – Speaker: Zach Van Dyke – Student Center, 9:35am
- April 30: 6-12 Steel Drum Concert – Alumni Commons/Gym, 7:00pm
Thespians Earn Excellent & Superior Ratings at State Competition
Congratulations to our students who attended the state thespian festival in Tampa at the end of March. Thespian Troupe 5165 earned 3 excellent ratings and 3 superior ratings.
Hannah Rose Cash-Solo Musical
Jon Fitzmartin & Andrew Langford-Duet Acting
Bailey Higgins & Charli Higgins-Duet Musical
Emma Ausen-Solo Musical
Olivia Bennington-Costume Design
NEW THIS WEEK
Visual Art Student Work Featured in Exhibit
Art from our Middle and Upper School Visual Art students will be featured in the Windermere Spring Fest. This free event is scheduled for Saturday, April 18 at The Pines at Windermere (3409 Maguire Road in Windermere, Florida 34786). More info: http://www.windermereevents.com/schedule/student-art-show/
Upper School Theatre presents Promedy and The Odd Couple
Check out our Upper School students actors presenting a story they’re very familiar with, revolving around the excitement and drama of Promedy. All shows are scheduled for 7:00pm in our very own Black Box Theatre. Click here to buy tickets for Promedy.
Save the date for The Odd Couple, April 23-25. Tickets will go on sale soon.
Save the Date! Bob Goff to Speak in Upper School Chapel
The Upper School is excited to welcome Bob Goff to speak in a special chapel on Monday, April 13 at 8:45am in the Student Center. Parents are encouraged to attend, but space is limited. Please sign up here.
Bob Goff is the New York Times Best-Selling Author of Love Does, as well as an attorney who founded Restore International, a nonprofit human rights organization operating in Uganda, India and Somalia. Bob is a sought after speaker for leadership, church and university events, inspiring current and future influencers to get to the “do” part of life. Choosing to live audaciously, Bob connects to audiences in a powerfully inspirational, yet down to earth manner.
Bob has pioneered the vision of Restore International to fight for freedom and human rights, working to improve educational opportunities and to be helpful to those in need of a voice and a friend. Restore has worked with Uganda’s judiciary in bringing over 200 cases to trial, as well as pursuing justice, intervention and education for at risk women and children in Uganda, India and Somalia. Restore Leadership Academy in Northern Uganda educates over 300 students with a focus on character and leadership development. Because of Bob’s vision and the work of Restore International, he serves as the Hon. Consul for the Republic of Uganda to the United States.
Bob has been a practicing attorney for over 25 years. He is also an adjunct professor at Pepperdine Law School where he teaches Nonprofit Law, and Point Loma Nazarene University, where he teaches Business Law.
School Wide Alternative Lunch Day (April 14th)
Tuesday, April 14, 2015 is an Alternative Lunch Day. Seniors will be permitted to go off campus; 9th-12th grade students may bring a lunch from home or purchase a Chick-Fil-A lunch from the Upper School SGA for $5.50. The Chick-fil-A meal will include: 1 Chick-fil-A sandwich, chips, water & cookie.
Extra sandwiches will be offered for an additional $3.50
To order the Chick-fil-A alternative lunch, visit https://thefirstacademy.org/about/lunch/. Please submit all orders by Friday, April 10, 2015 at 3:00pm.
You will receive a confirmation email from the TFA Finance office confirming receipt of payment upon paying for your child’s order. There isn’t an option to order for multiple students at this time. Students will pick up their orders in the gymnasium lobby on April 14th.